Jargon Buster "O"

1 Step 1

Office Copy Entries

Office copy entries are available for properties that have registered titles with the Land Registry. If someone is selling their property and finds a buyer, their solicitor must apply to get the relevant office copy entries from the Land Registry. This must be done prior to the preparation of a draft contract for the property.

The entries confirm who owns the property and are therefore important when the vendor comes to sell it. The documents confirm that the present owner does legally own the property and therefore has the right to sell it to someone else if they wish to move.

The proper title for the document is the Official Copy of Register of Title. While many people today still refer to a property’s title deeds, the office copy entries are the modern version of those. While the title deeds were once physical documents, the office copy entries are digital copies. It is quite rare for the Land Registry to have physical copies of the appropriate entries nowadays.

Office copy entries must be official in order to be recognised as valid documents. While they consist of several pages and sections, they must show the heading Official Copy of the Register of Entries at the top of page one. If they do not have this or have anything else written there (even if similar), they won’t be valid as evidence that you own the property being sold. Your solicitor will be aware of this and will confirm they have a valid copy before proceeding.



An ombudsman is an independent professional body set up by law to assist when disputes arise between consumers and firms. Their independent nature means they can remain impartial and review each individual situation as it presents itself. Examples of industries in which an ombudsman is present and can help settle disputes are those relating to estate agents, solicitors, and insurance companies. They are present in many other industries as well.

When a consumer has cause to complain about the service they have received, it is important for them to have someone to turn to. They may feel they cannot approach the business they have dealt with. Alternatively, they may approach the business to try and resolve their complaint. However, this approach may not garner the results they would like. They may feel they have not been listened to and would therefore seek an independent source of advice and support to make sure their case is heard.

The aim is for the ombudsman to listen to the position occupied by each side. They will look at all the evidence pertaining to the situation and try to find a resolution that is fair to both.

Seeking ombudsman services should only be done after trying to reach a resolution with the company or business you have dealt with. It should be used as a final port of call following failed resolution or response from the person or business you have interacted with. It should never be used as the first step in making a complaint.


Outline Planning Permission

Outline planning permission is a type of planning consent that is subject to certain reserved matters. Examples include the design, appearance, or siting of proposed buildings.

This contrasts with detailed planning permission. An outline planning permission proposal would be put forward initially to see whether the local authority would be willing to grant planning permission for a specific development in a specific area. This might mean a single property on a plot or the intention to build a housing development in a specific area. It is the official equivalent of saying, ‘I’m thinking of building a house of this type here – would that be okay in principle?’

If the local authority says yes, you know there is a good chance you could get full planning permission for your project. If they say no, you can see whether any changes to the project might lead to the local authority changing their minds to say yes to the project. For example, a modern design for a house in a traditional area might be rejected, but a traditional design that blends in with the surrounding properties might be approved.

If you receive outline planning permission, you would then go ahead and provide a proposal for the property or properties and put that forward to the local authority. It is important to note that even if you gain the initial outline for planning permission, there is no guarantee you would receive detailed planning permission for the project. Certain elements may be required to be changed before approval is granted, or it could be rejected for one or more reasons.

Jargon Buster O

Call us FREE on 08000 320 316

Or if you prefer, just fill in this simple form and one of our experts will get back to you as soon as possible.