Planning Permission

Planning permission must be sought from the local planning authority for any new building someone wishes to construct. The local planning authority is typically part of the local council for that area. Permission also covers engineering operations and the change of use of a building if it is in the public’s interest. An example would be changing a shop into a residential property, as this would be termed a change of use.

There are several types that could be sought in this case:

  • Outline planning permission (seeking permission in basic terms to see if planning would be approved)
  • Full planning permission (sought by presenting a detailed plan of the proposed project)
  • Retrospective planning permission (sought if someone has already made changes to their property that required planning permission, and did not make the proper application)

There are also different types of planning consent that are sought in relation to listed buildings, householder consent, and even those relating to Tree Preservation Orders.

It is up to the builder, homeowner, or other person seeking to build new properties or make changes to existing properties to get the planning permission they require. Certain changes are deemed to be fine under permitted development rules. This means you can do certain things to your home without needing permission (unless you live in a listed building).

For any development you have in mind, it is always best to check and see whether planning permission is required. If you do not seek it and you should have done, there is no guarantee that retrospective planning permission would be granted. If not, you might end up being ordered to return things to the way they previously were.